The Conundrum Lives5

Posted by Deirdre // 02-12-2013

So yesterday I was busy working my (husband’s) coop shift, starving as I was bagging up some Marcona Almonds in the basement – the kind with the skin on, in salt and olive oil – soooo good. Anyway, I took a SUPER quick break to check email and noticed a major uptick in subscriptions to the blog – usually there’s barely a trickle of them over a week, and there were lots in a few hours. My traffic was through the roof (relatively speaking, of course).

Where to?

Where to?

Turns out, as all of you new subscribers know (hi!), there was the all-too-familiar post on PSP (you have to be a member to view the link – sorry) about needing more space for less money, a place that’s commutable and walkable, and wondering if it exists in Brooklyn. Someone then kindly mentioned bklyn or beyond.

Over the course of the blog’s existence we’ve covered lots of alt Brooklyn hoods including Bed StuyRed HookBay RidgeLeffertsGreenwood Heights and Greenpoint. There’s also plenty of stuff on the burbs of course, and some inspiring posts on beyond (le sigh). The bklyn or beyond list serve – almost 5 years old! – has a ton of questions and answers from our over 700 members, so if you’re looking for really specific information, that’s a good place to go too.

So where are you thinking about – no farther than a subway ride? Commuter train? Close enough to telecommute and come in to the city (New York, that is) every once in a while? Or leaving it all behind for the mountains? Let us know!

1. Liz A. says:
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Re: Kensington. We searched far and wide in Westchester & LI before deciding to stay in Bk (WT/Kensington border). In the end we decided to commit to sending our kids to public school in NYC (lots of good schools in this neighborhood), in order to make the finances work. We have a lot more space than we did in Park Slope, and a nice backyard (though no driveway – sigh – but street parking is pretty easy). We have subway, prospect park & a plethora of coffee shops in a 2 block radius, and have been really impressed by the friendly community around here. Super happy with our choice so far!

February 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks Liz – great to hear! I’m a huge fan of Brooklyn Commune – usually I feel like I can move somewhere that has at least one place I can crush on (if there are other factors, of course!) Would love to hear more about the schools. Another member and friend lives there and has offered to do a post for us, so more to come!

2. forgetmenot says:
    February 12th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

What about Kensington? Does that count as “alt”?

February 12th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I would say it’s less traveled and less expensive for sure. The only reason I didn’t list it here is because I’m pretty sure I didn’t do a post on it yet! But there has been some chatter on the Yahoo group about it and we have a few members who live there. Do you? Or you thinking about it?

• forgetmenot says:
        February 13th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Just bought on the WT/Kensington border like the commenter above and would be interested in a post, but of course don’t know enough about it to be a resource myself!