Let’s Talk About Greenpoint12

Posted by Deirdre // 10-24-2012

My husband was in Greenpoint for a meeting a few weeks ago and texted me (as he does, giving me running commentary) that the neighborhood was awesome. We hadn’t been in years – the last time was probably when we drove through on the way home from PS1 and didn’t even stop. He loved that it felt vibrant and interesting and not teeming with kids. Don’t get me wrong – I love that we’re in a kid-friendly hood, of course, but sometimes the crush of 10 and unders is a lot to bear. I find that I am a bit startled when I see a lot of older people in one place, or 20-somethings for that matter, unless I happen to be out on 5th Ave after 9pm. It just doesn’t happen much in Park Slope, sadly.

Greenpoint Ave G Stop via George B.

Everyone knows about Williamsburg and its gritty, increasingly expensive and very livable cool. But development in Greenpoint has been slower. Greenpoint is to Williamsburg what Portland is to Seattle – the one that happened next. Yet where would I go if we ever had the balls to move to the Pacific Northwest? It’d have to be Portland.

For Greenpoint, the subway must have a lot to do with its relative quiet – it’s the oft butt of jokes G and only the G – versus the hipster-cool L. Yet the G is three stops (with one transfer) from Midtown East (51st & Lex or Grand Central) and four stops from Times Square. Oh, and now the East River Ferry has a stop in Greenpoint – the schedule says it’s 9 minutes to 34th Street. Huh.

But the chatter amongst parents is that the schools are not good. After seeing this Mommypoppins post about where to eat with kids in the neighborhood (which includes Five Leaves, where my husband ate that day and loved), I looked closer. I learned that they did a month-long focus on Greenpoint, with a parks and playgrounds and indoor playspaces and everything you’d expect to find in a good neighborhood guide for parents and kids (it’s what they do).

Then I looked into schools a bit. Inside Schools has info on all the District 14 schools of course, but I had to check resident expert Joyce Szuflita, and here’s what she had to say about PS 110 in April ’11, starting with “PS 110 is a great school…” because “…an experienced and gifted principal who has been a teacher in the school for decades.” Promising.

Plus, they’ve got a Van Leeuwen café, so delish lattes (and ice cream) are covered.

Any of you live in Greenpoint, or been considering it? Moved from there? We’d love to hear what you have to say.

1. February 12th, 2013 at 11:28 am

[…] alt Brooklyn hoods including Bed Stuy, Red Hook, Bay Ridge, Lefferts, Greenwood Heights and Greenpoint. There’s also plenty of stuff on the burbs of course, and some inspiring posts on beyond […]

2. Brooklyn Mom says:
    November 20th, 2012 at 6:46 am

You had me at “superfund site” — Personally, I can not imagine choosing to move to such a polluted area, especially with a child. http://www.epa.gov/region2/superfund/npl/newtowncreek/

3. Lisa says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Lived here since’95, now moving to New Jersey! :-). Love it here. Was always quiet, out of the way, now it’s getting kind of crazy. Great elementary schools, middle school and up trickier. I don’t think I’ld move here now, it’s too expensive and too crowded, but it is wonderful. Anyway, we need more space, days over for 3rd floor walk up, but love that we have whole floor, near the river and a view of the city.

October 26th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks Lisa. It does seem like it’s a decent (albeit expensive) choice for young families (baby/toddler going into elementary), except for that whole lead question which is a bit disconcerting.

4. Ann says:
    October 24th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I wouldn’t. We have lots of (childless) friends who live there and love it–I personally couldn’t quite imagine raising a family there. But aside from it being weirdly expensive and just a bit too hip for me, please don’t forget that it’s on top of what’s basically an oil slick, regardless of the cleanup work that’s been done. We have friends that had a baby in Greenpoint a few years ago and he tested for high levels of lead when he was a toddler. Apparently their pediatrician wasn’t surprised, given where they lived.

October 26th, 2012 at 10:14 am

egads (on the lead thing). It’s a lot more expensive than I would have thought. I like the hip part, though. I’d rather have more of that than another Music Together outpost, as important as that is for a year or two.

5. skowl says:
    October 24th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Greenpoint is fantastic for families, although we got priced out when it
    was time for us to buy after living there for 10+ years. We miss it. As
    for schools, lots of good options: 34, 31, 132, plus 84 and The Arbor
    School on the Southside are magnets.

6. Tracy says:
    October 24th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I would do it, absolutely, and I’ve only been there two or three times. Although 2 bedrooms that I’ve seen for sale are still over a million. Ugh.

October 24th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Ugh really? In new developments? I assumed it was way cheaper than Williamsburg.