Where the Cool Kids At?17

Posted by Deirdre // 09-01-2012

I’m starting this blog post – I know there is no way I’ll finish it – at the local play space in Coastal Connecticut, where we’re spending much of the rest of the summer at my mother’s house. It’s pouring rain and we’re here for the second time this week. It’s great because there is room for the boys to RUN and climb and jump and scamper and bounce — all things my two need daily, or they begin to drive me and each other crazy. There’s also a great old school game room attached that doesn’t have a video game in sight – it’s air hockey, foosball and skeeball and stuff like that.

It’s so weird that a place like this exists here, where pretty much everyone has a yard with some sort of swing set, but I guess it’s for rainy days like today. And yes, they have wifi, so many parents are on iPads or just sitting there glued to their phones, occasionally looking up to check on their kids. It’s sort of a godsend.

Foosball at the playspace

And yet here I am feeling weird and like I don’t belong, like these people are not my kind. The style is either slightly schlubby or extremely preppy. Let me back up for a minute and say that I am super hormonal and have been with my kids and no husband for four days and 3 nights – I am not someone anyone would want to be a part of today. And anyone looking at me would describe me as extremely schlubby, I’m sure. I may be over reacting. I haven’t actually spoken to these people. But still, I have had this feeling before out here. When we had free babysitting and could go anywhere, yet everywhere we went felt like a waste of time and money. It’s the NYC curse – no one and no where can measure up in some respects. It’s that trade-off thing again.

It’s now about a month later and I’m finally revisiting this post (I told you I wouldn’t finish it). Needless to say, the weather has greatly improved since the water-logged few weeks in July, and I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy more than half of the summer as a beyond-er, no suffering through hot and humid city streets. It’s weird to read this after we’ve had such an amazing month, to recognize those strong feelings I had early on in our vacation. I no longer feel like a total foreigner here, but I guess it is different when we’re frolicking on the beach or savoring the neighbor’s pool instead of trying to find somewhere to wait out the rain. I also think it took me some time to let some of my New York armor down. And we did find some true gems, but more on that in another post. I’ll let what I wrote above live as a semi-bitchy New Yorker rant, ’cause sometimes those are just necessary.

image by @vanriperarchives

We’re heading back to Brooklyn tomorrow and I already myself bracing for the onslaught of sights and sounds (and smells) I haven’t had to deal with in a while. Yet, I’m kind of ready. I’m dying — DY-ING — for a good latte. I got an email from franny’s today that they’re open on Labor Day and I felt like I’d heard from a friend I hadn’t spoken to the whole summer.  I started the NY Magazine story about Jane Pratt, and learned that she hired a drug addict as her health and beauty editor at xoJane. This does not happen in Coastal Connecticut. Or even San Francisco. I’m also reading Motherland by Amy Sohn — a parent friend — about Park Slopers who have affairs and do things like birth a child fathered by someone she met at the Co-op without her husband realizing it’s not his kid. I’m not saying drugs and affairs are a good thing, but a little edge in my vicinity — even if I’m actually just ending up at Bareburger with the kids and having an IPA — is what I’m craving.

The summer is coming to a close. I’m also hormonal again. So stay tuned for the “it was bliss and I can’t believe we’re back” post. This one is all jaded, obnoxious, Brooklyn is better and there’s nothing else like it.

1. google says:
    June 3rd, 2013 at 6:01 am

google…

Google http://www.google.com

2. Deirdre says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 10:52 am

So we had a little problem with Disqus and none of my comment replies showed up here! I didn’t want you all to think that I just ignored you…I’m so happy when people engage in the conversation – it’s what the blog is about! I’m going to repost my replies below and hopefully they’ll show up this time :-).

3. qmoney says:
    September 4th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Food aside, I pretty much love coastal connecticut. And I definitely love not being in Brooklyn all summer (or escaping by car every Friday night). I don’t miss Manhattan, pushing the stroller EVERYWHERE, the subway and remembering to move the car. I’m way more relaxed out here and feel like people are much friendlier and more outgoing (maybe a little fake, but I can smell BS). I’m over the whole obsession over diversity and culture along with the overprotective parents at the crazy busy playgrounds in Brooklyn. Not to mention having my own room to write this email from… HEAVEN. I get living in Brooklyn, and I worry that when winter comes that I’ll start to get weary of this place. Still, all I need are one or two good friends here and a Saturday trip to the Good BK for that delicious Latte you’re talking about. The one with a side of attitude from the barista.

September 5th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Today it smelled like garbage and it took me 30 minutes to find parking. I’m sure you didn’t have either of those experiences! I did love parking at the giant grocery store lot and loading my groceries in. Like I said, more on the blissful elements in another post.
      And I did see Michelle Williams and Jason Segal at our local crowded Bklyn playground the other day. So, that was cool too.

September 28th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Like I said, more on the blissful elements in another post.

4. Manoushz says:
    September 3rd, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Living in BK is so much about thinking I’m still a cool kid. Kind of hilarious that we spend so much money to live here and then are away all summer. We just got back today too and it was great to see some really funky/ugly sandals and know there was awesome pizza around the corner and other neurotic people. Thanks, as always, for the post and the site!

September 4th, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Neuroses make people so much more interesting. So do funky/ugly sandals. Thanks for reading!

September 28th, 2012 at 10:55 am

5. Cmorris2005 says:
    September 2nd, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I can relate to your post so much. Having just moved to Coastal Connecticut. It’s totally different out here. The way of life is diffferent. In many good ways of course. But I keep saying to myself am I going to fit in here? My husband tells me to just be myself. So this once suburb-turned country-turned city-girl will just have to find a good latte here too, I suppose.

September 2nd, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I’m sure there are LOTS of good ways. But yeah, I imagine it’s a huge adjustment in so many ways. I agree with your husband – be yourself and you’ll find the friends you want. It may take longer, but they will be the ones you like and will keep. And don’t be afraid to tell them how you like your latte? A little New Yorker may be ok once in a while…

September 28th, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m sure there are LOTS of good ways. But yeah, I imagine it’s a huge adjustment in so many ways. I agree with your husband – be yourself and you’ll find the friends you want. It may take longer, but they will be the ones you like and will keep. And don’t be afraid to tell them how you like your latte. A little New Yorker may be ok once in a while…

6. Janny1006 says:
    September 2nd, 2012 at 10:01 am

There’s got to be a happy medium between schlubby exurbia…and birthing illicit Co-op babies.  Dee…i am counting on you to find it!  And i don’t think I can ever imagine YOU looking anything but cool perfection…xxoo

• Janny1006 says:
      September 2nd, 2012 at 10:02 am

looking LIKE anything…not enough coffee yet…

September 28th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Janice, this must be you. You still see me as a 28 year old going to the latest bars. But I try!!

September 2nd, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Ha. Thanks! And that’s a lot of pressure, but a happy medium between those two extremes does have to exist. Like I said, there are always little gems hidden beneath the surface. And that’s what we’re looking for!